== General ==
IMPORTANT: Close all running swift applications before starting the installation
IMPORTANT: If you face problems, check [[help/installation/troubleshooting/]]
Installing swift should be painless, however there are some hints which could be useful.
- [[help/download|Which version to download?]]
- Alpha users please check: [[help/alpha/status/]]
- On windows you might see a warning (you need to ignore) when you start the installer. We have no official MS certification.
- The installation wizard can be run from the launcher. It allows you to (pre-)configure swift.
== Installing a new version ==
IMPORTANT: swift is just a directory install, you can simply delete the directory to uninstall if you like.
- You can just install a new version overriding the old. Some people have reported problems with that, in such a case just delete or uninstall swift.
- We recommend you to keep updates of your model set, as creating a model set is the most time consuming job
- swift knows settings and caches (data files, e.g. for downloaded data). You can copy those from other swift versions after installation
-- Hint: If you have only one swift version installed, there will be no such wizard screen
-- Not all data files can be copied. Most likely you would want to copy your model set and simulator model files
-- You can skip the copy, or just press next to get the standard files copied
== XSwiftBus (X-Plane only) ==
see [[ help/installation/xswiftbusinstallation/ ]]
== swift directory concept ==
- You can install as many swift versions in parallel as you like. swift is a directory based installation, no registry entries or such.
- This is useful if you want to keep a stable version for online flying and a development version for testing.
- Each installation has its own settings and cache files (and hence is isolated).
- From the wizard you can copy settings / caches from one version to another (if you like)
- You can always open your directories from the main menu
-- Windows: normally `C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\org.swift-project`