== General ==
IMPORTANT: Close all running swift applications before starting the installation
Installing swift should be painless, however there are some hints which could be useful.
- [[help/download|Which version to download?]]
- Alpha users please check: [[help/alpha/status/]]
- On windows you might see a warning (you need to ignore) when you start the installer. We have no official MS certification.
- The installation wizard can be run from the launcher. It allows you to (pre-)configure swift.
IMPORTANT: If you face problems, check [[help/installation/troubleshooting/]]
== swift directory concept ==
- You can install as many swift versions in parallel as you like. swift is a directory based installation, no registry entries or such.
- This is useful if you want to keep a stable version for online flying and a development version for testing.
- Each installation has its own settings and cache files (and hence is isolated).
- From the wizard you can copy settings / caches from one version to another (if you like)
- You can always open your directories from the main menu
-- Windows: normally `C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\org.swift-project`
== New version ==
IMPORTANT: swift is just a directory install, you can simply delete the directory to uninstall if you like.
- You can just install a new version over the old. Some people have reported problems with that, in such a case just delete or uninstall swift.
- swift knows settings and caches (data files, e.g. for downloaded data). You can copy those from other swift versions after installation
-- Hint: If you have only one swift version installed, there will be no such wizard screen
-- Not all data files can be copied. Most likely you would want to copy your model set and simulator model files
-- You can skip the copy, or just press next to get the standard files copied
== Some issues with Mac OS ==
- Not validated: Installation in `Application` failt, but in XPlane directoyy it works.
=== Additional Steps for Mac OS ===
IMPORTANT: For versions before 0.8.1 only. Try without that fix first.
A bug in Mac OS packaging currently blocks launching any swift application on Mac OS. Run the following steps to get it working:
Create config file with unique machine id for dbus by running
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/var/lib/dbus
echo "eec798facbde2ad4b0c9c5b15900eabe" > /tmp/machine-id
sudo cp /tmp/machine-id /usr/local/var/lib/dbus/machine-id
Run the launcher via
swiftlauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/swiftlauncher --bootstrapurl https://datastore.swift-project.org/shared/
All other applications can be launched via the launcher gui.